New Businesses With Employees

All new businesses employing 1 or more persons must apply for a State Employer's Identification Number. Contact the State's Employment Development Department by calling 888-745-3886, or stop by the Santa Rosa office at 50 D Street, Room 415, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

You will need a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN), if you're employing 1 or more persons. Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Business Tax Line at 800-829-1040.

Department of Industrial Relations - DIR was established to improve working conditions for California's wage earners, and to advance opportunities for profitable employment in California. Insurance/Workers' Compensation. Any business should consider insurance coverage for general liability, product liability, fire and similar disasters, robbery and theft. Fidelity bonding should be considered for employees who handle cash receipts or other funds. If you have employees, Worker's Compensation insurance is mandatory under California law.

State Compensation Insurance Fund of California - You are required to carry insurance through your own insurance agent or through State Fund at 877-405-4545 or for online support.

Bureau of Labor Statistics - This site offers job information, wages, unemployment, occupation, and price data.

Occupational Safety Health Administration - OSHA's mission is to prevent injuries and protect the health of America's workers by ensuring safe and healthful workplaces. For local agency information please go to Cal-OSHA- Division of Occupational Health and Safety. If you have employees, you should contact the Department of Industrial Relations with regard to minimum wages, overtime pay, employee dismissal requirements, hiring of minors, and fair employment practices.

State Labor Commissioner Division of Labor Standards Enforcement - Employee I.D. Number/Taxes - Most small businesses are unlikely to require any type of federal permit to operate, unless they are engaged in rendering investment advice, making alcohol or tobacco products, preparing meat products or making or dealing in firearms. However, if you have formed a corporation or a partnership, 1 should apply for a federal employer identification number (Form SS-4) even if the business has no employees.

Request from the IRS the Employers Tax Guide, a publication that explains federal income tax, unemployment tax, and social security tax withholding requirements for employers.